Pages

Thursday 21 March 2019

English #1- Starting Creative Writing

HWhat makes a good opening to a narrative?

The words that are used and how the author has chosen to word it. Some stories will start off with a good opening which makes you want to continue reading the story, and makes you want to know what else has happened/happening.

In the book "The Hate U Give" by Angie Thomas, she starts the book off with I shouldn't have come to this party. It makes you feel that something bad has happened or is going to happen. That you need to read on to see what happens. And once you do, you won't be able to put the book down.

My favorite opening line and why

We got given a list of opening lines from famous books, and we then had to pick our favorite from 50. I chose the opening line from Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie.

I was born in the city of Bombay...once upon a time. No, that won't do, there's no getting away from the date; I was born in Doctor Narlikars Nursing Home on August 15th 1947. The time matters too.

Its the way it's written, and they it was worded. Makes me want to go buy the book and just read it at once. It makes you ask the question: Why does the date matter? What happened? It sounds good just from the first paragraph, and I'm going to have to read it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I like the way you used punctuation. I think that you could add some images that have something to do with the book so more people notice it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.