Pages

Friday 7 December 2018

4 items, 1, very very long paragraph

-Green and pink sign “reading ‘First and Only Show on Soon”
-A blue and gold 1957 Mustang  
-The ‘dinging’ of a pile of coins falling from a man’s pocket
-The alley leading to Marigold Park on 5th Street.


I stood, staring at the dingy little caravan- well it didn't really even deserve to be called ‘caravan’
but that what it was. The peeling, tacky paint and the tinted black windows.
There was a little lime and hot pink sign on the outside of the van.
I think it was meant to read “First and Only Show on Soon” but it read
“ Frt d ny hw on oo”. I didn’t want to even go near it but it was in my way of the petrol station.
 I looked at the car behind me - a blue and gold Mustang- and wondered if
I should just walk back home and leave it. But my dad would kill me if I did that.
I gulped and made my way forward. I only made it three steps into the alley with only one
light but the door of the van opened. A unwieldy man with crazy white hair stepped out.
There must have been a hole in the bottom of his grimey khaki jeans, because a mountain
of shiny gold and silver coins rolled out. One stopped just by my foot and I picked it up.  
I walked up further to the van and helped the man pick up the coins. Just as I was about to pick
up the last coin, the man grabbed my hand. I got a  shock from the contact and dropped the coins
I had picked up. He smiled an empty grin as he had only 4 teeth. “Do you want to watch my poker game,
lil’ girl? It’ll only be a quick one. I promise.” As I’m about to say ‘no’ he rushes back into the caravan
and comes running back out with a table in hand. He places it down and places a pack of cards on it.
 “Make a bet lil’ girl.” He says as he shuffles the cards. I look at him “Uhm...I don’t have any money on me.
I was just going home in my car.” I look at him as he stares, looking at my car. “Bet the car then, lil’ girl.”
I gulp, and nod. “Yes, sure I will.” I shouldn't have done that.
*5 mins later *
I stare at the cards, horrified. I’ve lost, and that car at the end of the alley is my dad’s pride and joy.
Before I can think, I spin on my heel and bolt down the alley. “WAIT! THAT’S MY CAR LIL’ GIRL!”
I hear the man scream as I run. I can soon hear him puffing as he runs after me for the keys.
I reach the car and jump over the passenger door and lock the doors.
I can’t put the hood up until the key is in the ignition and I can’t flipping find it.  
I find it just as the crazed man is at the door. The hood goes up and hits his hands. He yelps and pulls...
I jolt awake, sweating. Oh. It was just a dream. I rub my eyes and pad downstairs
. At the table my Dad sits with my Mum. I look between them.  
My Dad goes from calm to ANGRY in 0.2 seconds.
“WHY DID YOU BET MY CAR TO A DODGY MAN!?” He yells.

Okay……..Maybe it wasn’t a dream….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.